Questions Regarding Saibai Island

Saibai Island, TSIRC Waste Management Questions Regarding Saibai Island

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ameen Alqudah
    Participant

Hello,

I have been recently trying to research more about Saibai Island, but there has been limited information regarding plastic waste in the island. I have read through everything here, and I feel like it does not give enough information when it comes to minimizing plastic waste. I just have a few questions:

1: How much of Saibai island is above sea-level? or atleast how much of the land can be used by the community? Can there be more structures built in the island?

2: How is transportation throughout the island like? I know alot of waste is moved through trucks and such.

3: are there any educational/awareness campaigns recently going on there regarding plastic waste? If I propose an educational campaign, is that considered insensitive?

4: Are there any more resources that talk about Saibai’s culture? What traditional materials do they use? (ex: Clay)

Ameen Alqudah
      Participant

One more question:

5: how hard is it to maintain vehicles in Saibai? Is fuel expensive?

Sai Rupa Dev
        Keymaster

Hi Ameen

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry about Saibai Island and its plastic waste situation. I understand your concern about the limited information available and your desire to minimize plastic waste effectively. Let’s address your questions while considering the interconnected nature of the island’s challenges and opportunities:

1. Land Accessibility and Construction: Saibai Island, with its low-lying terrain and limited infrastructure, presents challenges and opportunities for construction. While the island is approximately 1 meter above sea level, there’s potential for further development. However, it’s crucial to examine the Infrastructure section of the design brief, which outlines these challenges and opportunities in detail. Take advantage of the interactives and drone footage to gain a comprehensive understanding of the island’s layout and potential areas for development.

2. Transportation and Waste Management: Transportation on Saibai Island mainly relies on cars and walking, with waste often moved by trucks. Maintenance of vehicles can be challenging due to the island’s remote location and the expense of fuel, as highlighted in the Energy section of the design brief. By exploring these resources, you can gain insights into transportation dynamics and associated waste management practices.

3. Educational Campaigns on Plastic Waste: While there’s existing awareness regarding waste on Saibai Island, initiating an educational campaign could further contribute to minimizing plastic waste. It’s crucial to approach such initiatives innovatively and respectfully, ensuring the narrative promotes awareness without disrespecting the people or Country. Explore documents from TSRA and TSIRC to understand existing initiatives and potential collaboration opportunities.

I encourage you to explore the design brief comprehensively, considering all interconnected aspects of Saibai Island’s challenges and opportunities. Each section in the brief has an additional resources section with at least 5 resources per section. We have provided a total of over 30 resources and just added more resources on to the website. Take a look at what’s appropriate to your project and let us know if you have more questions.

Cheers,
          Sai

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Jean Aquinde. Reason: spelling
          AYOMIDE ADEYEMO
          Participant

Hello,

I haven’t been able to find information on shipping prices to Saibai Island.

First, I would like to know how much it would cost to use gas on the island for a kiln and how much it would cost to ship it there.
            Second, how much would it cost to ship a 10-litre empty plastic barrel?
            Finally, if there are any local markets on the island for construction equipment?

Jean Aquinde
            Keymaster

Hi Ayomide,

My apology for the late response. A student has brought the similar topic of pricing for shipping goods on Saibai Island recently. You can find our response here.

Regards,
              Jean

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.