Transportation of goods

Saibai Island, TSIRC General discussion Transportation of goods

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Jean Aquinde.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Shahmeen Mudassar
    Participant

Hi, I need to transport goods from NSW to Saibai Island for my solution. How can I do that and what are the costs for it. It’s not a lot of things it’s a small amount of like wooden stakes and nails.

Jean Aquinde
      Keymaster

Hi Shahmeen,

From a quick Google search, it looks like Australia Post is operating in Saibai Island. If it’s just small items or small amount, sending it through parcel may be an option.

Btw, have you considered shipping from Cairns or nearby islands? The construction materials you mentioned may be available in those places – saves you on shipping/transportation costs!

Regards,
        Jean

Scott Mcpherson
        Participant

Do we know what it costs to send a 20 ft container of general freight to the Island on sea swift barge. Their website doesn’t have pricing and I don’t think we should be inundating them with quotes for items that may never be sent.

Jean Aquinde
          Keymaster

Hi Scott,

Great thought! While requesting them for a quote may be a convenient move, it’s certainly an unnecessary work for them.

I found some resources for you where you can base the pricing for shipping goods on Saibai Island. They’re probably outdated, but for the purpose of estimating costs, it’s still a good source of baseline information:

UNDERSTANDING CLIMATE CHANGE DRIVEN COASTAL EROSION AND INUNDATION IMPACTS ON TORRES STRAIT COMMUNITIES AND THE DEVELOPMENT OF ADAPTATION OPTIONS – see page 53 & Appendix 3
            Sea Swift’s Customer Freight Guide (2017)
            TSIRC’s response to Inquiry Into A Sustainable Queensland Intrastate Shipping Industry (2019)

I hope this helps!

Regards,
            Jean

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Jean Aquinde.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.