Weed Management – Two uncommon weeds (marconia and wilcannia)

Dawul Wuru Aboriginal Corporation Caring for Land Country Weed Management – Two uncommon weeds (marconia and wilcannia)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Binxiao Li
    Participant

There are eight sorts of weeds mentioned in the weeds management of EWB Challenge
      The details of African tulip, pond apple, prickly pear, mother-in-law’s tongue, lantana can be allocated in internet easily. Thunbergia vine have another name called black-eyed susan vine, which can be researched too. As for marconia, there are only few information about it in http://www.theplantlist.com which denied my multiple access from different days. Wilcannia is the rarest weed, since it only recorded as town name instead of plant in internet. I have searched different search engines, government websites, plant list and plant encyclopedia. After searching, there is only one plant contain “wilcannia”, which is “Wilcannia lily”. Wilcannia lily got another common name called “proiphys alba”. However, proiphys alba never recorded as weed before. In this case, do anybody else got more detailed accurate information or guide about marconia and wilcannia?

Rachel Alford
      Keymaster

Hi Binxiao,

Thanks for your question, and so great to see the thorough research you are doing!

The weeds that we have identified came from the Dawul Wuru Rangers themselves who are currently engaged in weed removal processes as part of their role. As such, you can assume that there is knowledge within the organisation about weed types and how to manage them – this is not something that you need to provide to Dawul Wuru in your design. For the purposes of the project area, Dawul Wuru are interested in tools which can help make weed management more efficient, record and share their existing knowledge, store historical data and ultimately support their work in this space in an accessible format. As such, as a part of your design, you don’t need to provide detailed information about the weeds and how to manage them, as Dawul Wuru already holds this knowledge, but rather think about tools which can help share this knowledge and make their weed management more efficient. 

I hope this helps, and if you haven’t already I recommend taking a look at our Big Tricky Questions document (found in our Resources section). As you go through your design process you will inevitably find that there are questions you have that you can’t find information for, this document will help guide you through that process.

Thanks,
        Rachel

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.