Road Design to reduce environmental impact

Centre for Appropriate Technology Discussion Transport and access Road Design to reduce environmental impact

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Seiler
    Participant

Hello,

My team is currently working on challenge 1.1.

There are many environmental impacts that arise during the construction and maintenance of unsealed roads.

Are any of these issues considered non-negotiable? As we are developing a solution to appease CfAT’s desires, it is vital that we prioritise solving the most prevalent issues.

Regards,
      Daniel Seiler
      CQ University

Rachel Alford
      Keymaster

Hi Daniel,

Great to hear you’re taking into account CfAT’s priorities!

I’m hoping you can give me a little bit more information about what you mean by ‘issues’ as non-negotiables – are you referring to environmental impacts or road construction or something else? There’s a number of ways this could be answered so if you can give me a little more information I can provide an answer that is relevant and useful for you.

Thanks!
        Rachel

Daniel Seiler
        Participant

Hi Rachel,

Basically I’m asking which environmental issues (caused by unsealed roads) should be solved as a priority. Our team will be trying to identify all relevant environmental issues, but it will be good to know which ones CfAT must have solved as a bare minimum. For example sediments polluting waterways is a problem that must be solved.

I hope this provides a bit more clarification.

Regards,
          Daniel Seiler,
          CQ University

Rachel Alford
          Keymaster

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the clarification!

Actually, the example you provided – road sediment run-off polluting waterways – is an area of concern that CfAT have explicitly identified regarding the use of unsealed roads, so you’d be well placed to focus your attention there. Any additional negative environmental impacts that you can avoid are of course encouraged, but looking at techniques or designs that reduce sedimentation run-off is a good focus to have.

Good luck!
            Rachel 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.