Mobile solar energy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jessica Richardson
    Participant

We were wondering if you could give some more detail about how the mobile solar energy will be used. Is there any specific technology or structure it will need to be compatible with that we need to take into consideration?

Rachel Alford
      Keymaster

Hi Jessica,

The mobile solar energy can be used for the same things that a static solar power system would – to get an understanding of what this might be, it is good to refer back to the Bushlight system, and to review what those systems cater for; several lights, fans, basic appliances. The benefit of a mobile solar power supply is that it allows rangers greater flexibility in their operations.

I’d recommend taking a look at previous questions that have been asked in this forum about mobile solar energy, in particular the two answers I’ve linked below can give you an insight into energy usage and requirements.

Mobile Solar Power Supply

Mobile Power Supply Challenge (Design area 4.2)

Feel free to reach out with any more questions!

Rachel

Douglas Jensen
        Participant

In the Yarn with Wuthathi, the ranger mentioned that they had solar cells from a Chinese company. Are these in use?

If not, then is it possible to utilise them at all in project development?

If so, then what are the specifications of the power ratings for the panels?

How many would be available for a given project?

Grace Roberts
          Keymaster

Hi Douglas,

Thanks for your questions and I’m glad you were able to join us at the Yarn with Wuthathi.

Those solar cells from a Chinese company were going to be installed on site when they erect their ranger base sometime in October. These were specificly donated to Wuthathi though, so the same ones may not be available for other locations and groups. I’m not sure what the specifications exactly of these are, but you can assume there is availability of any mass manufactured Chinese made solar cells you can find online. This website might help you ascertain which solar panels will be appropriate depending on your design: https://www.solarquotes.com.au/

As for how many are available, that will be dependent on the ability to import/purchase your desired cells and the budget you choose depending on the target group who will fund your design. Guidance on how to think about that is available in our FAQs document.

I hope this helps,
            Grace

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.