Dimension of dugong

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Edwin Edwin
    Participant

Hi,

I have done research but I could not find the dimension of the dugong (width and height). The data exist is only the length (3metres for adult). Is there any data available regarding this? It would be great to have it to consider for the width and height of the tank in 5.1

Thank you

Rachel Alford
      Keymaster

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for your question!

I don’t have any specific dimensions, and like you my searching online has only given me the length and weight of dugongs. With this limited information, it is absolutely fine for your team to make an estimate/assumption about the width and height of dugongs for the purposes of your tank. When you are unable to find specific information it is absolutely okay to make informed assumptions (in this case, based on the weight, length and knowledge of the shape that dugongs are), as long as you highlight where you’ve made assumptions in your report. 

I would also encourage you to think about hw dugongs do come in a variety of sizes, so making sure that your design can accommodate for these variations too.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions!
        Rachel

Gayanuka Alahakoon
        Participant

Hi
          I want to ask about if we need to construct a trailer or a tank or both for the project. And also, if we do need to construct a trailer, is it a problem if the water is sloshing?

Jean Aquinde
          Keymaster

Hi Gayanuka,

Apology for the delay in reply. The design brief only asks for the design of the saltwater tank that can be towed by a 4-wheel-drive to transport an injured dugong. If you’re concerned about the water sloshing, then it might be good to address that issue in your design.

Regards,
            Jean

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.