Current Energy Sources

Saibai Island, TSIRC Energy Current Energy Sources

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sunny Vorn
    Participant

Are solar panels or any source of renewable energy currently used on the Saibai Island, and how reliant is the community on these renewable energy sources?

If solar panels are used, what kind of solar panels are used? How does the servicing of solar panels take place? What is done during rainy and cloudy seasons?

Jean Aquinde
      Keymaster

Hi Sunny,

In our design brief, we mentioned that ‘To supplement energy sourced from the power station, many residential and commercial buildings on Saibai are fitted with solar hot water systems.’ However, we don’t have any specific information about the extent of installation.

Use of renewable sources of electricity was a viable option considered in Saibai for a long time. I suggest you do some background reading of the Sustainable Land Use Plan Part 2 Saibai (2012) uploaded in our Resources Section.

There are also independent suppliers that have assessed the potential of solar panels in Sabai. Click here to see an example.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
        Jean

Alicia Vale
        Participant

Hi,
          Is there 3-phase power on the island currently in relation to the DC gensets which are currently powering the island or it is just 1-phase power?

Thanks, Alicia

Jean Aquinde
          Keymaster

Hi Alicia,

Unfortunately, we don’t have a specific answer to your question yet. In the meantime, I have some recommended readings for you:

This study (page 47) from James Cook University mapped the existing infrastructures in Saibai Island and provided some information related to Ergon Energy’s services.

Also, check out the Sustainable Land Use Plan_Part 2 Saibai (2012) in our Resources section. It provided an overview of Saibai’s electricity infrastructure and proposed strategies to address existing issues.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
            Jean

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.