3.3 Low resource building techniques and materials

Saibai Island, TSIRC Infrastructure 3.3 Low resource building techniques and materials

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by Jean Aquinde.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Raphael Dipippo
    Participant

How can the building techniques and materials be upgraded? What sort of effect on the environment will this have?

Jean Aquinde
      Keymaster

Hi Raphael,

To get more context about your proposed design, I’d like to know what building techniques and materials are you currently exploring and for what purpose, and why you think they might need to be upgraded.

Regards,
        Jean

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Jean Aquinde.
        • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Jean Aquinde.
        Raphael Dipippo
        Participant

I’m exploring an upgrade of the timber pier to a floating dock system.

Jean Aquinde
          Keymaster

Hi Raphael,

Thanks for sharing your idea of building a floating dock system for the community! I understand that designing for Saibai Island’s unique context presents challenges, but I’m confident your team is up to the task.

We have a detailed list of design considerations in the brief that we’d like you to reflect upon in your design process. One example that directly connects material selection and impact on the environment is the lifecycle of the materials:

Lifecycle: Effective engineering solutions to a problem should minimise environmental impacts throughout the entire lifecycle of a product. What happens to a product after it reaches the end of its utility is a crucial consideration for the resilience and sustainability of ecosystems and communities. By integrating end-of-life considerations into designs, students can contribute to developing a circular economy that promotes the reuse, recycling, and repurposing of materials. Students can explore the concept of designing for durability and longevity, which can prolong a product’s useful life and reduce the frequency of disposal. Additionally, incorporating remanufacturing and refurbishment processes into the design can extend the product lifespan, minimising waste generation.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
            Jean

Randall De Leon
            Participant

What are the specific materials such as the wood ( the mangroves ? ), cement ( normal cement, or made with coral aggregate ) and metals used in the existing residential housing

Jean Aquinde
              Keymaster

Hi Randall,

According to this resource from TSRA – Torres Strait Sustainable Land Use Plan, Part 2 Saibai:

“Houses located in the village are generally one storey, but are on stumps that elevates the house to the equivalent of a two-storey building.

Older houses and community facilities are generally one storey at ground level. Recent homes are generally, slab-on-ground open ground level, with the dwelling elevated on stumps and timber construction.”

Also, make sure to explore the Gallery section of Design Area 3 – Infrastructure, as we have some close-up photos there of the houses and other Council-managed facilities.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
                Jean

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.