Reply To: Role of Indigenous women in local communities in Cape York

Centre for Appropriate Technology Discussion General discussion Role of Indigenous women in local communities in Cape York Reply To: Role of Indigenous women in local communities in Cape York

Lily Luu
Participant

Hi Rachel,

My project is number 6.2 and we’re trying to design a clothes washing system. I want to take into account the needs and concerns of Indigenous women when they’re using the system and it’s crucial that I identify who the main users of the system will be. Without a convenient and time-efficient washing machine, women and men in the communities will face a lot of time being lost to washing clothes. If women are able to spend a lot of time on housework then hopefully a system that is less time-efficient but more environmentally-friendly might be suitable, however, if they are busy with not only childcare but also employment it is pertinent that the system saves them both time and energy.

These are my assumptions about the women in the communities so if you are able to clarify some points I’d very much appreciate it! Thanks for your time.

Lily