Waste Management System

Saibai Island, TSIRC Waste Management Waste Management System

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    William Harris
    Participant

Good Morning EWB Team,

My question about the waste or rubbish is, where do I find out what is the makeup of the rubbish as in how much plastic, food waste etc, how much rubbish in weight total gets picked up on the twice a week runs and is someone employed full time to burn the rubbish? Thank you for your time

Kind Regards

Dave Pocock
      Participant

Good morning,
        May I add to that question and ask for a possible estimate of total annual waste in either cubic metres or total tonnage shipped from Saibai to the mainland?

Thank you

Dave Pocock

Clare Murphy
        Participant

Hello EWB Team,

Could you please advise what Sabai Island is currently using for household waste management? Is it a regular wheelie bin like we see across mainland Australia?

Also, how often is household waste collected? Is this then transported to the waste management area of the island? How is it decided what is collected and taken to waste management in Cains and what is left to be buried and burnt?

Thank you,
          Clare Murphy

Jean Aquinde
          Keymaster

Hi William,

FYI, we just updated the Gallery section of Design Area 1. I added a photo of the rubbish truck that goes around the neighbourhood. Unfortunately, we don’t have waste characterisation data specific to Saibai Island. However, I found this great resource to help you in your design and future estimations:

Recycling and Waste in Queensland Interactive Data Visualisations (2016 to present)

According to the website, the data is:

> collected from councils and businesses through the annual survey and monthly waste levy reporting
            > used by government and industry to measure Queensland’s recovery, recycling and disposal performance and inform planning and decision-making
            > used in the annual Recycling and Waste in Queensland report, which summarises Queensland’s recovery, recycling and disposal performance.

As a recent update regarding burning of waste, they no longer do this anymore due to health and safety reasons.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
            Jean

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Jean Aquinde.
            Jean Aquinde
            Keymaster

Hi Dave,

Please refer to my answers to Clare and William.:)

Regards,
              Jean

Jean Aquinde
              Keymaster

Hi Clare,

FYI, we just updated the Gallery section of Design Area 1. I added a photo of the rubbish truck that goes around the neighbourhood. Yes, they do use a wheelie bin just like in the photo found in this blog : Life on the border – impressions of life on Saibai Island. They only supply one wheelie bin for the rubbish collection and don’t have yellow or green bins to sort other wastes.

In the design brief, we mentioned that domestic waste is collected twice per week. Since there’s no other stream of waste collected by the Council, rubbish gets transported directly to their landfill facility.

As a recent update regarding burning of waste, they no longer do this anymore due to health and safety reasons. Unfortunately, the wastes are currently dumped in pile. We’ve just added some information in the design brief based on our recent check-in call with TSIRC. Please take a look again.

In terms of what’s taken to Cairns, this is an option for residents or commercial businesses if they can shoulder the cost of waste transport (also taking the biosecurity measures in consideration). TSIRC has a detailed resource on Waste Facilities & Charges if you want to explore more about their operation.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
                Jean

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.