Washdown facilities in Cape York.

Centre for Appropriate Technology Discussion Energy Washdown facilities in Cape York.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nigel Siong
    Participant

Hi EWB, currently my group and I are doing design area 4.3 focusing on the appropriate energy supply for the washdown station.

I have few questions regarding the washdown station in Cape York that i was struggling to find online and hopefully you can provide the information.

1. Is there a list for all the washdown station locations in Cape York and their specification/details? At the moment, I can only find two washdown station (Lakeland and Lakefield) with limited information online.

2. What is the average operation cost of the current washdown facilities? (such as the generators brand, fuel and maintenance cost of the washdown station) What is the average running time of the generators?

3. Are the washdown stations automated or manually handled by the car owner?

4. Where is the water sourced from?

5. How is the wastewater is handled?

6. Is there a diagram for the design of the washdown station and are there any important features in the washdown facilities that need to be considered?

Thanks.

Regards,
      Nigel

Luke Barbagallo
      Keymaster

Hey Nigel,

Thanks for the great questions. I’ve answered in the same order as asked below.

1. The two that you’ve located are the only ones on the Cape York Peninsula.

2. Unfortunately, we can’t answer that question as we do not have the access to the data. These sites are government owner, hence the inability to gain that info. We’d recommend seeking out that info from companies that supply small scale wash down facilities, like the ones located on some agricultural properties.

3. Currently, they are activated by the car owner. You could investigate either a staffed station, or an automated station, however you will need to explain and justify this decision based on factors that range from wages, to maintenance, to whether a staffed wash station is more likely to be used than an automated one/self activated one.

4 & 5. The larger wash down facilities that are located closer to major centres or towns are on mains water (including waste water), however, beyond immediate town boundaries, that supply will not reach stations.

6. Not that we have access to directly, key considerations are highlighted in the brief. We’d also recommend doing some review of the washdown facilities images in the project brief, and also looking into the operations of washdown stations in agricultural biosecurity settings.

Hope this helps, reach out if you’ve got further questions.

Luke

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.