Stakeholders

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Vo Hoang Khanh
    Participant

Greeting!

My team is currently working on the project opportunity 3.1 Solar-powered specimen tank.
      I would love to know the maximum size of the tank for our design and the location the tank would be installed.
      Also what are the stakeholders for the project? For now I only know there would be the rangers and Dawul Wuru corporation.

Best regards,

Khanh

Rachel Alford
      Keymaster

Hi Khanh,

Great questions!

The intention is for the tank to be stored in their Hub (see https://ewbchallenge.org/challenge/dawul-wuru-aboriginal-corporation/vision-of-a-collective-hub-on-country/). Dawul Wuru are interested in having a space where they can host researchers and record traditional knowledge about different species which Elders can’t normally go and see in the field.

The size of the tank will be up to you to determine – what do you think is an appropriate size given its location and purpose? It’s also important to keep in mind the contextual information about Dawul Wuru, particularly regarding land tenure in Yirrganydji Country. How can you make the tank mobile if it needs to be relocated?

Dawul Wuru and the rangers are definitely key stakeholders in your project. There will likely be additional stakeholders, and as your design proposal progresses, these will become clearer; you can think about who are the end users of your design, who might be impacted by it, what permissions you might need etc to identify who your stakeholders could be.

Hope this helps!

Rachel

Vo Hoang Khanh
        Participant

Thanks for your information!

During researching about the potential sites of the hub, I found that there are 3 potential sites. Is it required for us to consider all 3 sites into account or we can pick 1 site only for our design?

Best,
          Khanh

Rachel Alford
          Keymaster

Hi Khanh,

You can take either approach with your project, both approaches have benefits and drawbacks. For example, if you were to choose one site which doesn’t end up being the hub, will your design be flexible enough to be implemented in another location? However choosing a specific location means that you can narrow in and think more practically about your proposal’s design and implementation.

There is no right or wrong answer for this one, just whatever you think is most appropriate for your team as you progress through your project.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
            Rachel 

Vo Hoang Khanh
            Participant

Hi Rachel,

Regarding our chosen topic, 3.1 Solar-powered specimen tank, is the tank’s design required to be suitable for long terms containment or short terms? For providing a suitable environment for specimens, asides from water, lighting and temperature, what are the factors that we need to take into account?

Thank you a lot!

Khanh

Rachel Alford
              Keymaster

Hi Khanh,

Unlike the tank projects in Design Area 5 which are proposed for short term transportation of specimens, the intention behind project 3.1 is for a longer term tank which can sit in the Hub, which Dawul Wuru can use to display specimens, use for research or for cultural yarning and education. 

In terms of providing a suitable living environment – that’s what your team will need to find out! What factors are important to keep the specimens alive, and how can this be achieved in your specimen tank design?

Let me know if you have any further questions!
                Rachel

Vo Hoang Khanh
                Participant

Hi,

Where would the tank be stored , in “Research centre” or “Keeping place”? And would the location for the tank be indoor or outdoor?

Thank you so much!

Khanh

Rachel Alford
                  Keymaster

Hi Khanh,

It would likely be in the Research Centre, however as the Hub is yet to be designed or built, there is no certainty that it will be housed there. The Hub is an aspirational, long-term project for Dawul Wuru. I’d also ask you to challenge yourself on how this information informs your design? What impact on your design choices will whether the tank is in the Research Centre or Keeping Place have? 

As to whether it is indoor or outdoor – again this will depend on your design choices and how you justify them. If you want to keep it inside / outside why? What are the benefits and drawbacks of each approach? Which design enables you to minimise the drawbacks as much as possible?

If you haven’t already, I also recommend taking a look at our FAQs: Big Tricky Questions document (which can be found in our Resources section) as it will help frame some of the thinking about what information is useful and how to balance decision making when dealing with unknowns.

Please reach out if you have any more questions!
                    Rachel

prameshwar adhikari
                    Participant

Is there any problem that the community of that particular area facing because of the solar-powered tank?
                      what are drawbacks of the tank? what can be its possible solution?

Rachel Alford
                      Keymaster

Hi Prameshwar,

Thanks for your questions, I’ve answered them below:

Q: Is there any problem that the community of that particular area facing because of the solar-powered tank?
                        A: I’m not too sure what you mean by this question – are you able to be a bit more specific? Dawul Wuru currently do not possess a solar-powered tank, however it is something that they are interested in pursuing. As such, your designs for the tank will help Dawul Wuru reach their aspirations.

Q: what are drawbacks of the tank? what can be its possible solution?
                        A: That’s what we want you to investigate! The EWB Challenge involves researching about the community partner and their design aspirations and coming up with an appropriate proposal. This will involve investigating the challenges and solutions of different proposals to determine which will be the best suited design. As a starting point, I recommend learning about Dawul Wuru as an organisation, and reading the information about your project outlined in the design brief, and expanding your research from there.

Good luck! 
                        Rachel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.