Shelter design to enable access to the country

Centre for Appropriate Technology Discussion Structures Shelter design to enable access to the country

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rupar Shwe Zin
    Participant

Hi, I would like to know how the construction materials are transported and the estimated cost of it (steel frames). And another thing is that regarding to the structural design area, how can we approach from humanitarian perspective? Which factors do we need to consider for the purpose of the report for 3.1 design area, resilient and low cost or regional approval and appropriation culturally?

Rachel Alford
      Keymaster

Hi Rupar,

Thanks for your questions, I’ll answer them below;

Q: How are the construction materials transported and the estimated cost of it (steel frames)?
        A: Construction materials can transported to Cape York via road trains or other similar methods along the main roads in Cape York. However, depending on your design, you may need to think about how you will transport the materials to a secondary location, if your structure is not being implemented along a main road. For example, preconstructed steel frames may not fit on the back of a 4-wheel-drive ute, so it might be better to transport individual pieces and construct on site.
        As for the cost, that will depend on a number of factors, such as size, location, how many etc. That is something that your team will have to research and find out.

Q: Regarding to the structural design area, how can we approach from humanitarian perspective?
        A: I recommend taking a look at some of the resources you can find under Participant Resources (located at the top of the EWB Challenge website), particularly Design Considerations and Key Development Concepts. Some things you might think about are structural resilience, environmental impact, and climatically appropriate design, such as passive cooling.

Q:Which factors do we need to consider for the purpose of the report for 3.1 design area, resilient and low cost or regional approval and appropriation culturally?
        A: All of those factors should be a consideration in your design, your team will need to investigate how to meet those needs and design an appropriate solution. I’d recommend taking a look at Design Considerations (under the Participant Resources) which outline some key factors that need to be considered as you put together your proposal.

I hope this helps, and good luck! 
        Rachel

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.