Safe and Dignified Marine Access – Boat access

Saibai Island, TSIRC Infrastructure Safe and Dignified Marine Access – Boat access

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Peter Duong
    Participant

What is it made out of? Is it similar to a matted path?

Jean Aquinde
      Keymaster

Hi Peter,

Just to clarify, are you referring to the photo of the main community boat ramp?

Regards,
        Jean

Shaun Tidswell
        Participant

Hi,
          I was wondering if I could get some information about the marine infrastructure on Saibai Island? I was wondering roughly how many people use the finger pier on a daily basis and what kind of goods are normally unloaded or loded from it? Also does the TSIRC have any future plans for development there or are in the middle of securing funding for planned infrastructure there? Or would it be okay for me to contact TSIRC to obtain further information?
          Any help would be much appreciated.
          Thanks, Shaun

Peter Duong
          Participant

Hi Jean,

Yes, I’m referring to the main community boat ramp and also the pier.

Where are your materials sourced to make the pier? I can see that it’s timber, but where?

The marine infrastructure was found to be ‘severe’, with three years of useful life left. The marine infrastructure comprises the boat ramp, pier, rock wave return wall, and concrete sea wall. Which part of it is severe?

I believe it shouldn’t be the sea wall because it was built not too long ago.

Jean Aquinde
            Keymaster

Hi Shaun,

According to this resource from TSRA: Torres Strait Sustainable Land Use Plan, Part 2 Saibai:

“The marine facilities at Saibai consist of a precast concrete barge ramp, a timber finger pier and a rock seawall. The barge ramp and finger facilities are accessed from the deep water by a dredged channel marked by navigational buoys.

The barge ramp and associated rock walls provide access for all goods transported to the island. They are an essential part of the community’s infrastructure. There is currently an adequate hardstand area formed from natural materials adjacent to the barge ramp. The facility also incorporates a shed and fenced area. Saibai is serviced weekly by a barge service from Port Kennedy.”

On TSIRC’s website, you can find its Deputation Priority Areas, where they laid out their plans to upgrade the marine infrastructure, including the estimated budget.

As stated in our Introduction, ‘Under no circumstances are students to contact community members, TSIRC staff, or their partners unless expressly permitted to do so by EWB. This is part of our agreement with the community that enables everyone to participate in a manner that is respectful of time, culture, and resources.’

The websites of TSIRC, TSRA, and the Queensland government offer a wealth of resources. These resources are comprehensive enough to provide all the information you need.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
              Jean

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Jean Aquinde.
              Peter Duong
              Participant

Hi Jean, are you also able to find further information on which part of the infrastructure is more severe?

Peter Duong
                Participant

Which part of the pier is severe? The EWB person said that there are 3 years left but from the picture the pier looks okay. Hence looking for more specific information on what part of the pier is severe.

Jean Aquinde
                  Keymaster

Hi Peter,

Please refer to my answer to Shaun regarding more details on the marine infrastructure. According to this publication: Construction Work in Remote Islands in North Queensland Challenges and Solutions, the required materials for the Saibai Sea Wall and Bund Wall Project could not be supplied locally. Suppliers from Cairns needed to be engaged.

Due to the island’s remoteness, lack of local manufacturing capacity and resources, this is more likely a similar case when the pier was first constructed. I would say it’s generally safe to assume that construction materials are transported into the island from various sources in mainland Australia and are subject to Commercial and Construction Waste Restrictions.

On TSIRC’s website, Priority Area One – Marine infrastructure and equitable access, it explicitly says that ‘Poruma, Saibai, Masig, Boigu and Erub each require dredging on the marine access channel for barges and pocket dredging to facilitate barge and essential freight provision at approximately $26M for all five communities.’ Note that the other islands mentioned are also rated as ‘severe’, and that trend may be worth investigating.

According to this TSIRC document, the berthing dolphins and jetty at Saibai are damaged. In the risk rating’s definition, severe means ‘less than 3 years useful life left’. Saibai Island’s marine infrastructure may aesthetically look ‘okay’ in photos because it’s still technically functional, but given the risk rating, expect that the the structural features will likely reach its end of life in a year or so.

I agree with your assessment regarding the seawall. While the seawall is part of the marine infrastructure, its risk rating is likely different from the rest because of its recent reconstruction. Despite the reconstruction of the seawall, it’s important to remember that the village by default is highly susceptible to coastal flooding during high tides and storm surges.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
                    Jean

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.