Project Opportunity 2.4 – Increasing Internet Access

Centre for Appropriate Technology Discussion ICT Project Opportunity 2.4 – Increasing Internet Access

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ed Kudaya-More
    Participant

Hi,

Do you mind me asking about the current situation revolving internet availability and how people would generally access the internet? My team and I would like to get a clearer picture of this to see potential areas that we can target.

If possible would it possible to access data/statistics on how many people use the internet via theirs phone, library, home modem or via hotspot? (Or if that’s not an option just a description of to paint a picture or a ballpark figure would be really valuable).

Thank you for your time,
      Ed

Rachel Alford
      Keymaster

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your question!

Currently internet is available in Cape York though Skymuster NBN, which utlises fixed satellites to deliver NBN connection. You can find more information on this website here

In terms of your question about how internet is accessed, I am unaware of any specific data regarding this, however through a google search I found this Remote Indigenous Communications Review report. On page 87, it gives specific information about both the current infrastructure in Cape York, connectivity in certain areas, as well as gaps that could be addressed. The report also outlines general information about projects in place to increase connectivity which you might also find useful.

Some other points for your research could also be taking a look at the Census data for Cape York, which has a section on internet usage, and this document (found in the ICT Design Area resources) which gives some tips about how to understand mobile coverage. You can also see an example of current internet infrastructure in our Interactive: Explore CfAT project examples (found in Resources) in the walkthrough of a Ranger Base.  

I hope you find these resources useful in framing the current context, please reach out if you have any further questions!

Thanks,
        Rachel

Ed Kudaya-More
        Participant

Thank you for your prompt reply, Rachel. I really appreciate the depth you’ve put into this, it’s been really helpful.

Will you or perhaps another member of your staff be available in the next coming weeks?

Kind regards,
          Ed

Rachel Alford
          Keymaster

Hi Ed,

I’m glad the information was useful! The discussion forum is monitored regularly by EWB staff throughout the semester, so please post any further queries you may have. We are also hosting a live Q&A session on October 6th where you can ask any questions.

Thanks,

Rachel

Ed Kudaya-More
            Participant

Hi Rachel,

Thanks again for your reply. The live QnA is a great initiative, I’ll look into it.

Is there currently a community hub that would allow communities to have Wi-Fi access?

For example, maybe schools that would have Wi-Fi access already that would allow the public to use it? But would have filters or have a limit on internet usage per device so the internet still performs at a reasonable capacity.

Kind regards,
              Ed

Rachel Alford
              Keymaster

Hi Ed, 

Thanks for reaching out again.

As far as we are aware there are currently no community hubs specifically for wifi access in operation in Cape York. If that’s an area you are considering exploring for your design, I’d recommend looking into communities with larger population, such as in Hopevale or Aurukun, as this is where permanent hubs would be more likely to operate year round. Outside of the larger settlements, much of Cape York is a remote, seasonally occupied place which is important to remember when designing your proposal. You can explore different communities through this resource (found in Tips for Getting Started):  https://www.indigenous.gov.au/communities

The CAT hotspot is also something you could look into, as it is a community level technology specifically for connectivity. 

Hope this helps, and good luck with your project!
                Rachel

Ed Kudaya-More
                Participant

Hi Rachel,

Yes, this is really helpful. Thank you so much.

That’s great advice. We’ll keep in mind community size and other circumstances in our design.

Kind regards,
                  Ed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.