Pottery

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ameen Alqudah
    Participant

Hello,

I also wanted to ask if Saibai Islanders had any significant cultural connections with pottery.

Thank you,
      Ameen

Sai Rupa Dev
      Keymaster

Hi Ameen,

Very interesting question. To the best of my knowledge, no. Nothing about pottery came up. Super curious about your design now though.

Cheers,
        Sai

Ameen Alqudah
        Participant

The idea was a pottery workshop. I looked around and found evidence that there was pottery in the Torres Strait, but nothing came up speicifically about Saibai. Still, what makes it plausable is that since Saibai is an alluvial mud island and it contains all the natural resources for making earthenware clay, it would make sense that the aboriginal population long ago might have done pottery. The only issue is that if I want to introduce this idea and there isnt much pottery in their culture, I feel like I would be insensitive to introduce this idea.

Sai Rupa Dev
          Keymaster

Hi Ameen,

It is an innovative and sustainable idea. I wouldn’t presume it to be culturally insensitive to introduce something like that; for all you know there might be some traditional knowledge there, just something that isn’t actively vocalised online. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
            Sai

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.