Marine Infrastructure

Saibai Island, TSIRC Infrastructure Marine Infrastructure

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Will Shore
    Participant

Hi,

I just wanted to contact to ask a question out of the chances of a ferry being able to dock at the Saibai islands. We have found out that a ferry docks at another island near Saibai that is much smaller called Iama Island. My Team and I were wanting to ask about the chances of having a ferry come further from Far North Queensland or even Papa New Guinea to bring tourist and supplies from the main land.

Thanks Heaps

Will

Sai Rupa Dev
      Keymaster

Hi Will,

There are no ferry services on Saibai, so it’d be tough to give an explanation on this one. However, there is a pier and a boat ramp on the island, more information can be found on the design brief, and there are some photos, both on the website and the interactives. What are your requirements for ferry docking station? Maybe I can address any key requirements? Hope that helps.

Cheers,
        Sai

Aden Chia
        Participant

Hi,

I heard from the Stakeholder Analysis Event that Saibai Island has an absence of skilled professionals, such as mechanics. In that case, would building/ renewing the current port at Saibai be a viable option? Or, is it simply too difficult to do?

Also, I was wondering what kind of marine vessel would be most appropriate and dignified for inter-island travel? I have come across numerous fishing boats, but am unsure if that is the best option for the purposes of passenger transport.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,
          Aden

Sai Rupa Dev
          Keymaster

Hi Aden,

It depends on the “Value for money”, you are allowed to demonstrate your case for it and explain why it is crucial (if it is..); Also, it is a fair assumption to make that there might be skilled professionals on Thursday Island instead.

Again it depends on what your priorities are. Is it capacity, safety, comfort, speed and efficiency? In which case, yes, fishing boats aren’t great. But distance between PNG, the neighbouring Daun Island and Saibai is all under 5kms. So, depending on whether you are designing for short distance or long distances, your priorities might vary and with it the answer. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
            Sai

Saif Khan
            Participant

Hi,

I wanted to know the depth of the water (from the land under the sea to the top of the water) around Saibai Island. More specifically the shore where the residents live near by. Is there a way you could tell me and/or provide resources that could tell me accurate and precise depth levels of the water around Saibai Island. We are thinking of making breakwaters. Your soonest response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Saif

Jean Aquinde
              Keymaster

Hi Saif,

Please look at our recommended readings under the Introduction to Saibai Island section. I can see that all the information you need is there.

Regards,
                Jean

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.