local resoucres

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    youssef kassaby
    Participant

Hello my group is doing the alternative methods for refrigeration and freezing and I am looking in to the materials part.

1.I would like to know how I can get information as to what local materials could be used as an alternative,

2.also as I understand cape york is a peninsula which is quite large so would getting materials from cairns be considered locally source materials?

3. also does the project have to be electricity powered or can it something like a root cellar(although a root cellar would not be able to freeze foods.

Rachel Alford
      Keymaster

Hi Youssef,

Thanks for your questions, great to see that you’re considering appropriate and available materials for use in your design.

1. The types of materials you will include in your design will depend on what your solution is. To get an idea of what is available, I suggest having a look through our resources, particularly things such as our 360 degree photos, and see what materials are available. If you can see structures made out of that material, you can assume that it is available. I also would recommend taking a look through the photo galleries of other design areas, as this can also provide examples of locally used materials. I also recommend having a read of the FAQs Big Tricky Questions document (found in the Resources section), which answers in more detail about materials.

2. Cairns is the closest urban centre to Cape York, however there are still significant distances (and costs!) involved in transporting materials between the two. Locally sourced materials refers to materials readily available in Cape York, such as bush timber. Of course, not every material will be found locally, so sourcing materials from large towns nearby might need to be incorporated into your design proposal.

3. The design does not need to be powered by electricity, non-electrical methods can certainly be looked at, just keep in mind that your design is appropriate for the context, which includes extreme weather, such as flooding.

If you haven’t already, I’d recommend taking a look through the other questions on this discussion forum as there are many which relate to the design area you’re working on which you may find helpful.

Good luck!
        Rachel

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.