Livestock

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Henry Rogers
    Participant

Hi,
      Could you provide some detail about what sort of livestock they have? I’m particularly interested in whether or not they keep goats, but also if they have other ruminants. From reading other pages on this website, it seems that using manure fertilizer is widely practiced, but how exactly do they process the manure? I’m also interested in whether they use manure for biofuel. Also, what sort of enclosures do they use for their animals, and who mainly looks after them? How labour-intensive is it to look after the animals, and do the villagers have much knowledge of exporting livestock to the market?
      Many thanks,
      Henry

Sai Rupa Dev
      Keymaster

Hi Henry,

Livestock includes: Goats, pigs, poultry, and cattle from what we’ve seen.

Manure: Manure is typically collected from livestock enclosures and composted to produce organic fertilizer for agricultural crops. Using Manure for biofuel may not be as common due to limited access to biogas systems or alternative energy sources. However, using dried up manure in firewood stoves is observed.

Livestock management: Livestock in Pu Ngaol village are often kept in simple enclosures made from locally available materials such as bamboo, wood, or wire fencing. The responsibility for caring for livestock is typically shared among family members, with adults and children contributing to feeding, watering, and general animal care. I would say it is a bit labour intensive.Villagers in Pu Ngaol may have some knowledge of livestock marketing, as selling surplus animals can provide additional income for households. The extent of knowledge about exporting livestock to formal markets may vary, and many villagers may rely on local markets or informal networks for selling animals.

Hope that helps,
        Cheers,
        Sai

Henry Rogers
        Participant

Hi Sai,
          Thank you for that informative response, I will find that information very useful. Could you by any chance tell me what method they use for manure collection? Do they use some sort of receptacle attached to the animal?
          Also, I’m interested in if they have considered using grazing animals as a means to manage overgrowth, and perhaps turn wild patches of grass into arable land.
          Thanks again,
          Henry

Sai Rupa Dev
          Keymaster

Hey Henry,

They pick it up. Manually.

What kind of grazing animals were you thinking? Cattle nad goats are grazing animals that graze around the village.

Henry Rogers
            Participant

Hi Sai,
              I am thinking about goats for grazing seeing as they seem to be used in other parts of Cambodia as a relatively easy source of income. I am thinking that along with foraging off of the local flora, goats could also be made to graze on some of the overgrowth around Pu Ngaol to help farmers clear the land. Is this something that they already do, or is it perhaps not very practicable?
              Thanks

Sai Rupa Dev
              Keymaster

Hey Henry,

Not a formalised practice, but I think they do this to some extent, meaning who own farm lands as well as cattle and goats. Good idea though. I’d advise you to factor in scale, means of communication (between farm owners and cattle herders), effects of seasons into it.

Cheers,
                Sai

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.