Inquiry Regarding Soil Conditions for Proposed Communal Root Cellar

Mondulkiri, Cambodia Agriculture and Livelihoods Inquiry Regarding Soil Conditions for Proposed Communal Root Cellar

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Pui Wing Ng
    Participant

I hope this message finds you well. I am currently considering a community development initiative that I believe could benefit our local villagers immensely. The idea is to construct a communal underground root cellar adjacent to the community centre. This facility would provide a shared space for residents to store perishable items, potentially helping with food security and decreasing food waste.

However, before we proceed with this plan, I have concerns regarding the soil conditions in the village. I’ve observed that during the wet seasons, the challenges faced in rice cultivation are quite significant, leading me to believe that the soil conditions might not be optimal for an underground construction like a root cellar.

Given your expertise and familiarity with the area, I wanted to reach out and seek your insights on a few specific questions:

Can you provide more detailed information on the soil conditions in the village, especially during the wet seasons?

Are there instances where flooding has reached the homes of villagers during particularly heavy rains?

Could you also inform me about the proximity of the mountain to the village?
      mountain cellar would be the best , but i am not sure how long would villagers take to go to the nearest mountain.

Your feedback will be instrumental in determining the feasibility of this project and ensuring the safety and longevity of the proposed root cellar. I genuinely believe that this facility could be a valuable asset to our community, and your guidance will be pivotal in making it a reality.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Jean Aquinde
      Keymaster

Hi Pul Wing,

Communal food storage sounds like a great solution for the villagers! It’s good that you’re investigating site-specific conditions in your preliminary design.

To check the soil type in the area, check Map 8 of the Technical Report on Mondul Kiri Provincial Spatial Plan (2020 – 2040) by The Provincial Committee for Land Management and Urban Planning. In the soil profile map, look for Kaev Seima, the district where Pu Ngaol village lies.

Yes, floods can reach the homes; that’s why houses are commonly built on stilts. In the Interactives: 360 Site Walkthroughs, you can see the layout and features of the house of Chen Saitevy, one of the villagers.

To check the proximity of key areas in the Pu Ngaol Village, you can start by looking at the Pu Ngaol Village map in the Resources section in conjunction with Google Earth.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
        Jean

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Jean Aquinde.
        Pui Wing Ng
        Participant

thanks so much for you information.
          just to clarify, so flooding level normally would not reach where they sleep right?
          warm regards
          Wing

Jean Aquinde
          Keymaster

You’re welcome Wing!

Unfortunately, we don’t have the exact figures of the water level when it floods, but I guess it is safe to assume that the villagers have considered this risk in how they designed the height of the stilts or where they located their sleeping area.

Regards,
            Jean

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.