How the vegetables are grown

Mondulkiri, Cambodia Agriculture and Livelihoods How the vegetables are grown

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Jean Aquinde.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ben Harvey
    Participant

Do the villagers regularly use manure to fertilize their crops or are the vegetables planted without any, as there is no mention of manure on the design section.
      Do they have farm animals they can regularly collect manure from to compost?

Jean Aquinde
      Keymaster

Hi Ben,

Good question! I just confirmed with the Cambodia team that the farmers in Pu Ngaol are using animal manure as fertiliser. The typical sources are from cow, pig and chicken.

Regards,
        Jean

Ben Harvey
        Participant

I’d be interested to know how effective these were. Whether they included organic scrap material into it as well. Do you believe this is an area that could be improved?
          Do we know if they have mixers? I know organic fertiliser tends to need oxygen + water otherwise it begins producing methane.
          Or if they spread it via hand or they have some sort of plough that mixes it amongst the soil.

Jean Aquinde
          Keymaster

Hi Ben,

Building soil fertility is part of project opportunity 3.1 : Improving year-round vegetable production and resilience, and this area can be improved.

Unfortunately, obtaining the baseline data specific to this topic was not part of EWB Challenge’s scoping process. This journal provides a good background of the nutrient status of Cambodian soils, and you might find this a good starting point in your research.

Regarding the tools they use in farming, you can check the variety of tools in the Interactives: Site Walkthroughs.

I hope this helps.

All the best,
            Jean

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.