Energy Consumption:

Saibai Island, TSIRC Energy Energy Consumption:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Phuc Nguyen
    Participant

What is the energy consumption of the island?
      How has it changed over time?
      Are there any significant seasonal changes in consumption pattern?

Jean Aquinde
      Keymaster

Hi Phuc,

From the design brief, we mentioned that Saibai Island residents relies on a diversified energy mix and Ergon Energy operates in the area.

One way to identify the energy consumption of the island and to draw the consumption pattern is to look at the data that’s publicly available. In Ergon Energy’s website, they have a section called ‘Energy usage data to share‘. I can see that you can filter the data by postcode or by local government area.

I hope this helps to get you started and goodluck to your research!

Regards,
        Jean

Isaac Silva
        Participant

Is there publicly available data for energy cost? Something like the “Energy usage data to share” but provides cost instead.

William Harris
          Participant

Power generation in regards to the generators what specifically is the max power output per day, size of the generator, do they only run one or two, the amount of fuel used, the length of run times, and how much draw is there for what facilities at what times. What does the contracted company charge per KWh and what is the max they can supply with their current setup. Thanks

Jean Aquinde
            Keymaster

Hi Isaac,

I’ve been doing some research, and I think it’s essential to have a broad understanding of the retail electricity market, as energy pricing structures aren’t straightforward.

This report from the Queensland Competition Authority is a comprehensive resource on regulated retail electricity prices in regional Queensland 2023–24.

If you want to know the range of energy prices at a residential level, the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) has a free, independent government service called Energy Made Easy to know the available energy plans in Saibai Island.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
              Jean

Jean Aquinde
              Keymaster

Hi William,

Unfortunately, due to the limitations of our EWB Challenge scoping process, we don’t have specific answers to your technical questions. However, checking out Ergon Energy’s resource materials will provide more information about their services.

In their Isolated Networks Strategy 2020, they mentioned,

“The Isolated Networks consist of power stations, High Voltage feeders, SWER (Single Wire Earth Return) and Low Voltage distribution networks with maximum demands ranging from 68kW at Stephens Island up to 4.2MW at Thursday Island. The annual energy demand across the sites ranges from 425MWh (Stephen’s Island) to 3.1GWh (Thursday Island).”

If you can’t find more information specific to Saibai Island, I encourage you to expand your research and compare Saibai’s energy performance to that of other Torres Strait islands. Also, please check my answer to Isaac’s question regarding energy pricing in the Energy Discussion Forum thread.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
                Jean

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Jean Aquinde.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.