Dungarra Salt Marsh Lagoon

Dawul Wuru Aboriginal Corporation Structures Dungarra Salt Marsh Lagoon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Maya Milyaev
    Participant

Hi! So we’ve been looking at the Salt Marsh Lagoon located in the Dungarra area, but we’re having trouble being able to see the dimensions of this area. Is there another way to have a look at this Lagoon to see how big it is?

Rachel Alford
      Keymaster

Hi Maya,

Thanks for your question!

Could you possibly give me some more information about how the dimensions of the Salt Marsh Lagoon would factor into your project/design? As we don’t have any specific dimensions of the salt marsh lagoon area on Dungarra, but depending on what you needed it for I could possibly help point you to some relevant information or help reframe the usefulness of knowing those dimensions.

In the meantime you are able to make an estimate of the size based on what you can see in the interactives in conjunction with Google maps, for example, to give you a rough idea. It’s absolutely fine to use estimation techniques like this in the EWB Challenge as long as you outline where you’ve made these estimations in your final report.

I hope that is helpful, but if you can provide me with some more context I’ll likely be able to help further.

Thanks!
        Rachel

Maya Milyaev
        Participant

So, we have decided to design a boardwalk along this lagoon, however, we’re having difficulty viewing what the lagoon looks like and its dimensions.

We are also not sure if it connects to the Barron River so we do not have a clear direction on how long or how big we should design this boardwalk.

We also would like to know the state of the water in this lagoon. We understand that this area is quite dry – with the ground quite saturated – and that there is only a small amount of water, but we’re unclear as to how much water that would be.

Generally, we would like to know more intimately what this area looks like.

Rachel Alford
          Keymaster

Hi Maya,

Thanks for your patience with my response – I was waiting to hear back from someone who has visited the site who could provide some more context for you.

The clearing for the lagoon is not huge – approximately 60m x 50m, and about 10m from the walking track nearby. It’s also quite close to the Barron River, but doesn’t have a direct channel joining it. The water levels in the area vary hugely depending on the season – the photos in the interactives were taking during the dry season so you can imagine that during the wet season there would be a lot more water. There is a walking track approximately 10m away which is ~2m above the lowest point in the lagoon, so you may want to build to that height. However, the water levels will vary season to season, so it’s best to design your boardwalk structure in such a way that it can withstand these changes. Additionally, the measurements I’ve provided are just estimations – does your design have enough flexibility to be lengthened/shortened/shape changed if need be? It’s also important to note that Dungarra is just one suggested location, and with the land only able to be leased to Dawul Wuru, you also need to think about whether your design is modular and flexible enough to be deployed in different locations if need be. 

I hope that information is useful, but please reach out if you have any further questions!

Thanks,
            Rachel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.