Current Boating Framework on Saibai Island

Saibai Island, TSIRC Energy Current Boating Framework on Saibai Island

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    William Rothfield
    Participant

To whom this may concern,

Our group is addressing the design area 4.2, Non petroleum options for boating, and we were just wondering what is the current boating framework already being used on the island by the stakeholders. For our design process we would appreciate having more information regarding:

-How many boats are there on the Island?
      -What type of boats are used on the Island?
      -What type of engines are being used on the boats?
      -What type of servicing facilities do they have on the Island for the boats?

Many thanks.

Sai Rupa Dev
      Keymaster

Hi William,

Your group’s focus on exploring non-petroleum options for boating in Saibai Island is crucial for sustainable development. To provide insights for your design process, let’s address your inquiries regarding the current boating framework used by stakeholders:

1. Number of Boats: While I don’t have specific data on the exact number of boats on Saibai Island, it’s reasonable to assume that there is a range of vessels used for various purposes, including transportation, fishing, and recreational activities. Given the island’s reliance on waterways for connectivity and livelihoods, boats play a vital role in daily life. There are approx 500 people on the island, so around 100 – 125 households, you can assume at least 60% of them have boats. So that comes out to 60 to 70 boats on the island

2. Types of Boats: The types of boats used on Saibai Island can vary based on their intended use and availability. Common types may include traditional dugout canoes, motorized dinghies, and fishing boats.

3, Types of Engines: The engines used on boats in Saibai Island are predominantly be diesel powered engines due to their widespread availability and ease of use.

4. Servicing Facilities: Regarding servicing facilities for boats on the island, there may be limited infrastructure available, given the remote nature of Saibai Island. Basic maintenance and repair services may be provided by local mechanics or boat owners themselves. However, access to specialized equipment and expertise for servicing modern engines may be limited.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
        Sai

Darcy Eady-Muxlow
        Participant

Just some other follow-up questions:

– How much diesel can be stored on Saibai Island?
          – How much diesel do the people of Saibai Island use in a given time period?
          – How often is diesel delivered to the island, how is it delivered and how much is delivered at a time?
          – What is the cost of shipping petroleum to the island?

Kind regards,
          Renewable Rascals

Sai Rupa Dev
          Keymaster

Hi Darcy,

(Love the team name)
            – 2000 litres of Diesel can be stored in a single bowser
            – The answer is it varies, depends on the seasons, cultural events, border closures etc.
            – Fuel is delivered via 200 lt drums, it is delivered via Seaswift. My understanding is they do a mass transport to northwestern islands, depending on how much diesel is left over in each bowser per island
            – I’m unsure about the cost of shipment, I’ll reach out and get back to you.

Cheers,
            Sai

Danny Weston
            Participant

Hi,

Danny here from team 6, I’m also interested in the cost of the diesel shipments.

Thanks,
              Danny

Ethan Wilkins
              Participant

Hi,

My names Ethan and my groups addressing design area 4.1. I’m also interested in the cost of the diesel shipments to Saibai, if those values are available.

Thanks,

Ethan

Jean Aquinde
                Keymaster

Hi Darcy, Danny and Ethan,

Thanks for your patience! We’ve been in touch with TSIRC staff, and they’ve explained that the process of determining the cost of fuel shipment is quite intricate. They pay for the shipment in bulk, which includes other items that are also being shipped. This complexity makes it challenging to provide a straightforward answer to your question.

Due to this factor, fuel prices are generally expected to be higher in the Torres Strait. To see the latest fuel prices here, check TSIRC’s commercial fuel fees.

If you want to dive deeper into guidelines for transporting fuels on the island, check out these references:
                  > Transporting dangerous goods in Queensland
                  > Seaswift’s Freight Preparation & Packaging Guide 2024

Regards,
                  Jean

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.