Cost of electricity from the grid

Mondulkiri, Cambodia Energy Cost of electricity from the grid

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Jean Aquinde.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Janiru Athukorala
    Participant

How much does the electricity from the grid cost? I know installation is 100-200USD, but how much does supply cost in terms of kWh?

Jean Aquinde
      Keymaster

Hi Janiru,

Thanks for your patience. The monthly consumption of different households varies. During a most recent scoping interview with the villagers, one it’s 60000 riel, another house it’s 80000 riel, and another is 20000. At this writing, we’re still determining how much it is in kWh and what household size these monthly consumptions correspond to. We’ll update you if we can find more information.

This electricity cost is a significant portion of income. One household mentioned that in 6 months – 1 year, they make around 100000 – 200000 riel from selling chickens and 600000 from selling pigs.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
        Jean

Jean Aquinde
        Keymaster

Hi Janiru,

Following from my previous response to your question, here’s my update regarding the monthly electricity cost per household size:

60000 riel: 4-person household (couple + children)
          80000 riel: 8-person household (couple + children and grandchildren)

I hope that helps in your estimation.

Regards,
          Jean

Gia Thanh Binh Duong
          Participant

Why are the connection and installation fees so expensive?

Jean Aquinde
            Keymaster

Hi Gia,

There’s many factors that affects electricity costs, including installation costs. It’s important to note that Pu Ngaol village is not an isolated case. Have a read on this article from Khmer Times to gain more context about the issue:

High electricity bills push every Cambodian to the brink of despair

I hope this helps!

Regards,
              Jean

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.