Appropriate Design Solutions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jaemiely Umali
    Participant

Hi EWB Team,

My group and I have decided to move forward with a solution that upcycles white goods that no longer function for their original purpose. (For example, turning a fridge door into a chalkboard or a shelving unit, using washing machines as a planter.) We were initially focusing on project opportunity 6.2 but we have reconsidered that it might be more appropriate for design opportunity 6.1.

Is it appropriate to consider ‘white goods waste’ as a common form of waste?

We appreciate your feedback in advance.

Luke Barbagallo
      Keymaster

Hi Jaemiely,

Thanks for your question.

I feel that for what you’re considering, a switch to 6.1 would be appropriate. Obviously, white goods are not as numerous in numbers as other daily waste items, but their size makes them difficult to remove off country and leaves them quite visible at their place of disposable, which is generally not far from where they may have been in use.

The disposed of whitegoods and other heavier household appliances can be assumed to be relatively ubiquitous. However, when considering the upcycling options, I’d recommend that you apply a broad vision, rather than focussing on particular design or relying on an abundance of a certain kind of white good waste. The most common you would find would be fridges and washing machines, but considering a range of upcycling opportunities for the various machines and fittings at structures on country would be advised.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your project.

Luke

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.