Access and acceptance of using technology

Dawul Wuru Aboriginal Corporation ICT Access and acceptance of using technology

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Arsh Hasan
    Participant

Do Yirrganydji people have access to the internet and technology?
      Do Yirrganydji people accept the use of mobile phones and the use of the Internet?
      What is the perception among the Yirrganydji people about education and especially online education about land management?

Rachel Alford
      Keymaster

Hi Arsh,

Thanks for getting in touch. To answer your questions, it’s important to challenge the assumptions that you’ve made about the Yirrganydji community. The Yirrganydji community are not an isolated group who live disconnected from the rest of Australian society. Rather, they can (and do!) live in a variety of regional, rural and urban areas – Dawul Wuru’s office is in Cairns for example – both in Yirrganydji Country and beyond.

Additionally, there are many projects that Dawul Wuru have identified about using technology for educational purposes, so you can assume that this is not only acceptable, but an area that they are actively pursuing. 

I’d recommend taking a look at the Share Our Pride Reconciliation Australia website (which is linked in our Resources section). It has a wealth of resources and information to challenge some of the assumptions and misconceptions around First Nations communities in Australia. 

Hope this helps, please reach out with any further questions. 
        Rachel

Mahbuba Jerin
        Participant

Hi,
          Can I get some help regarding my project? I need to know how the rangers are sharing their collected data with dawul wuru and others? also how they are managing the privacy of data while collecting and sharing?
          In addition, how and where I can find exact or original resources of the current state of Yirrganydji country?

Rachel Alford
          Keymaster

Hi Mahbuba,

Which project are you working on? Without knowing which project or which kind of data you’re referring to, it is difficult to provide a clear answer. I’ve attempted to answer your questions below, but please reach out with more context if you need some clarification. 

Q: I need to know how the rangers are sharing their collected data with dawul wuru and others?
            A: We aren’t able to provide you with the exact data architecture of Dawul Wuru, but in general the data they collect is typically used for decision making by the rangers. Cultural data would be held within the Yirrganydji community and would be managed and informed by protocols related to their cultural practices.

Q: Also how they are managing the privacy of data while collecting and sharing?
            A: The privacy of data is managed by Dawul Wuru in line with Australian data protection laws.

Q: How and where I can find exact or original resources of the current state of Yirrganydji country?
            A: I’m not exactly sure what you mean by this question, could you give me some more information/context?

Please reach out with some more context if you need some more information or clarification.

Thanks,
            Rachel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.