7.3 More Information on Materials

Dawul Wuru Aboriginal Corporation Waste & reuse 7.3 More Information on Materials

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Rachel Alford.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Alan Guzman
    Participant

I was wondering if there was anymore clarity on the materials used in ranger base construction and where they are sourced. Also if there’s any previous plans available to see to further understand the methods and approach used on previously built ranger bases

Rachel Alford
      Keymaster

Hi Alan,

Great questions, and apologies for my delay in getting back to you.

For the purposes of your project, you can assume that sawdust, offcuts of wood, metal frames, and other materials expected of construction projects of this kind are the likely materials that will be used in the ranger construction. Unfortunately I can’t provide any additional information about where they are sourced, as the base has yet to be designed/constructed. Navigating this ambiguity and unknowns is part of the EWB Challenge design process – we have created a document that outlines how to progress when you are faced with these information gaps.

Ranger bases vary considerably in their construction so unfortunately as above, I am unable to give you any clear previous plans or examples. Dawul Wuru, for example, has not had a dedicated ranger base and their ranger program is currently based out of their office, which is located in the back end of a property shared with another organisation. A quick google search will provide you with a number of articles about various ranger base construction projects across Australia, however do keep in mind that the terrain and climates will be different in these locations, as well as the needs of the ranger group.

You could also take a look at some of the buildings featured in the interactives and Design Area 1, for example Holloways, as these can give you an idea of the types of buildings that are currently in use on Yirrganydji Country.

However, I would also challenge you to question how the information you’re seeking will impact your design choices. As the design and construction of the ranger base is yet unknown and you’re looking at potential methods of reusing construction materials, how important is it to your design proposal to know where the materials are sourced and what approaches have been used previously will impact on your design? How can you move forward without this information? What assumptions can you make that will enable you to move forward? As I linked earlier, the Big Tricky Questions document will help you with navigating some of this uncertainty.

I hope this helps to guide some of your thinking, please reach out if you have any further questions!

Rachel

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.