5.1 seawall

• This topic has 16 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Jean Aquinde.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Hazel Mutyasira
    Participant

Hi Jean,

My team and I are also working on the design challenge in saibai and have come up with an alternative solution to use duckbill valves instead of metal flap valves. The innovation aspect of it was to add drawings and paint over it making it a community event for the kids and/or adults.

We were wondering if it is culturally appropriate for the islanders to draw on the valves before implementation. If so, what kind of drawings will they likely add?

Regards,

Hazel

Jean Aquinde
      Keymaster

Hi Hazel,

That sounds like a great idea – solving a technical problem and involving the community in an art project!

There seems to be an interest in cultivating art in the region. To learn more, check TSIRC’s Priority Area Eight – Local prosperity & Enterprise Development. While we couldn’t confirm if painting over structures is culturally appropriate, I suggest that you include this opportunity in your Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP). The SEP is collaborative in nature and these are the things you can highlight when you intend to consult the key stakeholders such as TSIRC and the residents of Saibai Island in terms of the feasibility and likability of your design proposals.

If your team decides to proceed with this project, here’s a great resource you can check for inspiration: Visual Art and Torres Strait Islander knowledge.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
        Jean

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.