3.5 Electric Outboard for Waterway Access

Dawul Wuru Aboriginal Corporation Energy 3.5 Electric Outboard for Waterway Access

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Rachel Alford.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Zachariah Vojnovic
    Participant

Hi,

I was reading through the question outline for 3.5 and was wondering what was meant by ‘the ability to change the pitch of the motor sound’ as I don’t quite understand whether the engine sound pitch needs to be adjustable or whether the pitch of the engine in the water needs to be adjustable.

Regards,
      Zachariah Vojnovic

Zachariah Vojnovic
      Participant

Hi again,

I was also wondering what the depth of the water to determine what engine design would be most appropriate with respect to water depth.

Regards,
        Zachariah Vojnovic

Jose Hernandez
        Participant

Hey,
          I was reading through the outline for 3.5 and there are a few questions we have about what assumptions we should be making. How large is the boat we are designing a motor for, in terms of size and capacity? In addition what style of boat are we looking at, would it be something like an airboat? Finally, is the purpose of the boat just to monitor the crocodiles or for tourism purposes?

Regards,
          Jose Hernandez

Rachel Alford
          Keymaster

Hi Zachariah,

I’m not entirely sure I understand your first question, but the adjustable pitch refers to the sound of the engine. Crocodiles have become accustomed to the sound of the boat engines which makes it difficult for the crocodile team to get close to crocodiles, so they are wanting to reduce this noise to be able to get close. I hope this answers your question, but let me know if I have missed something!

For your second question, the depth of the water will vary – the crocodile team needs to navigate urban creeks, rivers and drains. The boat will also need to withstand other factors such as navigating and bumping into mangroves and being covered in mud when it gets stuck. If you take a look at the photo gallery and interactives, you can see the types of engine on the boat that they use currently, and I recommend taking a look at some of the main rivers in Yirrganydji Country to understand the varying depths that might be encountered.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if something is still unclear.

Rachel

Rachel Alford
            Keymaster

Hi Jose,

If you take a look through previous questions on the discussion forum you can find answers to your questions. This post in particular address your questions directly:

croc boat size

In terms of the purpose, I recommend taking a look through our resources which outline the work the crocodile team does, in particular the video The Crocodile Removalists on ABC which can be found in our Resources section.

Thanks,
              Rachel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.