3.2 Improved Local Road Access in the Wet Season Questions

Saibai Island, TSIRC Infrastructure 3.2 Improved Local Road Access in the Wet Season Questions

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Sai Rupa Dev
    Keymaster

Hi Scott,

I remember seeing one tractor that is fully functional, there are a couple that are basically dead.

Ahmet Tekin
      Participant

Hi,

I have a few questions:

1)What is the labour cost in Saibai Island? For example, if we were to hire people on the island to work on the roads, what would their hourly rate be?

2) What is the budget for the local roads improvement?

3)Based on the road registry approximately 13.9 km is the total length of the roads used for transport, how much of this is concrete and how much of this is plain dirt?

4) What is the current condition of the concrete roads? Do they require any improvement for the wet season or only the dirt area needs to be improved?

5) Is the import of materials such as gravel and cement an option? If yes, how much would it cost to ship materials from PNG?

Thank you.

Regards,
        Ahmet

Ahmet Tekin
        Participant

Hello,

Can I please get an answer for the above questions?

You can skip 3 and 4 as we already got an answer for them.

Regards,
          Ahmet

• This reply was modified 6 days, 20 hours ago by Ahmet Tekin.
          Jean Aquinde
          Keymaster

Hi Ahmet,

Sorry for the delay in response. Here are some references I found to help your team with questions 1,2 and 5:

1) I suggest that you take a look at the Australian government’s The Fair Work Ombudsman Pay Guide – Building and Construction General On-site Award [MA000020].

2) In TSIRC Deputation Priority Areas 2021-22 report, it was mentioned that TSIRC is seeking an estimate of $15M to undertake design construction of critical road and drainage improvement works. This document is accessible in our Resources section or at TSIRC’s website.

5) Yes, different forms of construction materials such as gravel and cement can be imported to the island. While PNG is very close to Saibai Island, there are biosecurity requirements to import goods from PNG. Here’s a guide on Moving goods from PNG to the Torres Strait Protected Zone. You may find commercial suppliers online to get an estimate of the pricing.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
            Jean

• This reply was modified 1 day, 23 hours ago by Jean Aquinde.
            • This reply was modified 1 day, 23 hours ago by Jean Aquinde.
          Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.