3.2 Improved Local Road Access in the Wet Season Questions

Saibai Island, TSIRC Infrastructure 3.2 Improved Local Road Access in the Wet Season Questions

• This topic has 15 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by Sai Rupa Dev.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Arkinz Nino Sulit
    Participant

Questions for the road infrastructure:

Jean Aquinde
      Keymaster

Hi Arkinz Nino,

It looks like you forgot to add your questions here. 😉

Regards,
        Jean

Mahadura Rovindu Tharin De Silva
        Participant

Greetings,

Concerning the project “Improved Local Road Access in the Wet Season”, we researched the local climate and the rain level in the wet season of Saibai Island for the project background section of our report. We wanted to know the exact situation of the unsealed roads during the wet season. However, we couldn’t conclude on it.

Below are the questions we would like to receive answers to:

1) During the wet season, do the island roads get only muddy, or do they get flooded by rainwater?

2) If it gets flooded, then approximately how much does the water level rise from the soil level? How often does it get flooded?

3) How often do king tides affect Saibai Island?

4) During king tides, does the flood level rise? If so, approximately how much does the water level rise from the soil level?

Above are the questions we have now regarding the rain level and flood level. The earliest response is highly appreciated.

Thank you for being considerate!
          Kind Regards.
          Rovindu

Petr Janda
          Participant

Hi, i would also like to know the answers to these questions.

Jean Aquinde
            Keymaster

Hi Rovindu,

I’m not sure if your team have already come across this resource: Torres Strait Sustainable Land Use Plan, Part 2 Saibai. It has a 10-page section about tides and storm surge specific to Saibai Island and I found most of your questions were answered there.

To have a more holistic understanding of flooding events in small, low-lying islands like Saibai, I encourage you to extend your scope of research to the Torres Strait region by checking Torres Strait Regional Authority’s website. I found their LAND AND SEA MANAGEMENT STRATEGY FOR TORRES STRAIT 2016-2036 very informative.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have follow-up questions.

Regards,
              Jean

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Jean Aquinde.
              Jean Aquinde
              Keymaster

Hi Petr,

Please see my response to Rovindu and let me know if you have follow-up questions too!

Regards,
                Jean

Hassan Reda
                Participant

Hi, I have a question about the road infrastructure.

1) In what ways can a new road system improve the community?

I’ve been searching endlessly for some responses but I cannot find a single thing.

Petr Janda
                  Participant

Does Saibai have a local source of timber?

Jean Aquinde
                    Keymaster

Hi Hassan,

I appreciate your effort in checking the existing thread first, but you probably couldn’t find anything relevant yet, as we just launched Saibai Island’s design brief this first semester.

In our design brief – 3.2 Improved local road access in the wet season, we outlined some of the pain points experienced by the community when the unsealed roads are muddy. To kickstart your research, I suggest you reflect on that and think about how their everyday routine can be improved or enhanced when they have a better road system.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
                      Jean

Jean Aquinde
                      Keymaster

Hi Petr,

Based on our recent chat with a TSIRC staff, we have confirmed that they don’t have a local source of timber.

Regards,
                        Jean

Petr Janda
                        Participant

Hi,

I have a few more questions.
                          1) How many km of paved(or concrete) road do you have? 2) Which sections are most economically important to for the island? 3) Is walking the preferred method of transportation around Saibai township? 4) How many cars are present on the island?

Jean Aquinde
                          Keymaster

Hi Petr,

In response to your questions:

1) In TSIRC’s website, you’ll find information on Saibai’s Road Register, including relevant definitions.

2) To determine the road sections that are economically important for the island, I suggest that you take stock of the available assets and services in the community. You may check Saibai Community Booklet for more information about this.

3) The preferred method of transportation may be highly subjective. Given that the town is small, everything seems walkable according to our EWB Challenge scoping team.

4) According to this resource: Torres Strait Sustainable Land Use Plan, Part 2 Saibai, there’s 79 privately owned vehicles as of 2006. Please check that resource for more context regarding car ownership and road conditions.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
                            Jean

Nikita Ghorpade
                            Participant

Hello,

Approximately how wide are the roads on Saibai Island. The links provided give the length but not the width

Thank you,
                              Nikita Ghorpade

Jean Aquinde
                              Keymaster

Hi Nikita,

To get the approximate width of the roads on Saibai Island, I suggest you use the measuring tools in Google Earth.

I hope that helps!

Regards,
                                Jean

Scott Mcpherson
                                Participant

Hey guys,

Out of curiosity, how broken is the islands tractor. Just cosmetic or is it dead?

Regards
                                  Scott

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.