Reply To: Questions about population and original wastewater treatment plant

Saibai Island, TSIRC Water and Sanitation Questions about population and original wastewater treatment plant Reply To: Questions about population and original wastewater treatment plant

Jean Aquinde
Keymaster

Hi Bin,

Great find on that resource material! I think I will have to add that to our recommended reading list. 🙂

To answer your questions,

1) The latest release of census data from Australia Bureau of Statistics for Saibai Island island is 2021. Based on 2021 data, I suggest that you make an estimate for 2023 population using the information on ‘identified growth rate’ in the PDF document that you linked. It mentioned there ‘a low growth rate of 1% (an extra 39 persons over 10 years)’ or a high growth rate of 2%’.

2) In the PDF document you linked, there is a specific section about Effluent Re-use:

Effluent from the treatment plant is treated to a secondary level only and as such, is unsuitable to be considered for potable use. The treatment plant as designed is not readily modifiable to enable effluent treatment to a tertiary level.

There may be an opportunity to use the secondary treated water to irrigate community areas during the dry season, however this would involve the provision of significant infrastructure and the need for strict environmental health management systems to be implemented.

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘intermediate products’ in your question. Can you give me more context about that and as to what do you want to achieve related to that?

Regards,
    Jean

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Jean Aquinde.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Jean Aquinde.