Reply To: Role of Indigenous women in local communities in Cape York

Centre for Appropriate Technology Discussion General discussion Role of Indigenous women in local communities in Cape York Reply To: Role of Indigenous women in local communities in Cape York

Rachel Alford
Keymaster

Hi Lily,

Great question, and great to see you considering the community in your design!

The role of Aboriginal women in communities in Cape York is very context dependent and varies between communities and between households. Generally speaking, women do take on the majority of domestic work and other tasks which support the functioning of a family, whether this be housework, childcare or employment. In saying that, however, there are also some examples from men taking on some of these roles, such as caring for children. Women are also known to take on the same paid jobs as men, such as in the ranger program.

As this is quite general information, if you could let me know which design area you are working on and how you are considering women in this I might be able to provide a more specific answer to your question.

In the meantime, I recommend taking a look at some of our resources such as Stories from Cape York and Local Voices. While these don’t explicitly answer your questions, they do show women participating in their communities which could help to shape your understanding.

Thanks,
    Rachel